This course is open to anyone who wants to sharpen their public speaking skills. Through a combination of short readings, mini-lectures, and in-class activities, you will focus on communication principles such as how to choose a strategy, organize an argument, project confidence, design visuals, and how to engage with your audience. Becoming an expert presenter requires applying those principles to master the skills, and in this class, you are given multiple opportunities to give informative and persuasive presentations on topics of interest to you. In this encouraging and supportive environment, your peers and instructor will provide feedback to accelerate your growth as an effective speaker.
- Develop active listening skills
- Choose an appropriate communication strategy
- Organize an explanation in a logical manner that emphasizes flow and development
- Use body language and voice to engage and hold the audience’s interest
- Design slides that illustrate and emphasize key points
- Interact with an audience and answer questions in a clear, direct manner
- Learn techniques to manage the anxiety associated with public speaking
- Become skilled at assessing strengths and weaknesses of a presentation
- Analyze personal strengths and weaknesses and set goals to enhance performance
- Anyone that wants to sharpen their public speaking skills
- Experienced speakers who want to up their game
- Individuals and recent graduates who want to become more knowledgeable about how to give a high-impact presentation and feel more comfortable doing it
- Professionals such as engineers, scientists, physicians, researchers and educators who often need to communicate complex information and motivate others to take action
Due to the high demand for courses, registrations are considered final as of 10 working days before class starts. No refunds will be issued after these dates and credits will not be given for future classes. No refunds will be granted for participants who miss a portion of a program. Refund requests before the deadline are subject to a 10% processing fee and must be made in writing to email@example.com. If books have been issued, the cost of the books and any shipping fees will be deducted. Refunds for credit card payments will be processed as credits to the accounts from which they were paid and may not appear as a credit until the following statement. Refunds for enrollments paid by check take up to four weeks to be processed and mailed by the Rice University accounting office. There is a $30 charge for any check returned for insufficient funds.