This course provides essential information necessary for students pursuing careers in the growing health care sector, as paralegals, managers, or compliance/ethics professionals. The program focuses on key information such as the types of health care entities, and the laws and ethics that govern them, and discusses the major areas of health care law, including regulatory research and administrative law review. Also highlighted are important contemporary topics like electronic health records, corporate compliance, HIPAA privacy and security, physician professional relationships, and prepares students for their careers with real-world examples. While not required, those with medical experience, including nurses, EMTs, and even medical office staff will find that combining those skills with this course may prove to be advantageous.
For an experienced paralegal, increasing your knowledge and skill set can lead to related growth and opportunities Paralegals must stay current on technologies, trends and evolving law to stay on top of a competitive market in such timely issues as e-discovery, corporate law, criminal law, immigration, real estate and family law. Rice University partners with the ICD, the curriculum developers of our renowned legal studies program to offer convenient on-demand courses to provide educational opportunities 24/7.
Graduates of the Rice Paralegal Certificate program are eligible for a discounted rate of $399 per course.
- Be able to intelligently discuss the healthcare delivery system in the United States.
- Have a general understanding of the regulatory schemes with the healthcare system.
- Understand how health records are stored in the digital age.
- Understand HIPAA and its rules regarding patient privacy.
- Identify potential Medicare eligibility issues as well as related fraud and abuse.
- Have a broad understanding of the role of clinical and regulatory research in health care.
This course does not include traditional lectures. Instead, the student will utilize multiple study-support tools that act as a guide for the learning process. These tools may include:
- Chapter Overview and Introduction
- Lecture Notes
- Chapter Review and Review Answers
- Chapter Quiz (required to proceed)
In addition, students will have access to an instructor via email if any questions arise.
Estimated Course Hours (including study and online learning): 24 hours
- An Introduction to Healthcare Delivery
- State and Federal Roles in the Regulation of Healthcare
- The Physician/Patient Relationship
- Physicians, Providers, and Financial Relationships
- Fraud and Abuse
- Healthcare Compliance Programs
- Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act
- Electronic Health Records
- Emergency Medical Treatment and Labor Act
- Clinical Research
- Ethical Decision-Making in Healthcare
- Paralegals and those with medical experience seeking to further enhance their knowledge and skills
- Professionals preparing to become a paralegal in a law firm or medical facility legal office
- Health care professionals seeking broad legal understanding of law relevant to organizations, compliance, or risk management
Financial assistance information can be found on Rice Financial Aid's Visiting and Continuing Education Students page.
Due to the high demand for courses, registrations are considered final as of 10 working days before class starts. No refunds will be issued after these dates and credits will not be given for future classes. No refunds will be granted for participants who miss a portion of a program. Refund requests before the deadline are subject to a 10% processing fee and must be made in writing to firstname.lastname@example.org. If books have been issued, the cost of the books and any shipping fees will be deducted. Refunds for credit card payments will be processed as credits to the accounts from which they were paid and may not appear as a credit until the following statement. Refunds for enrollments paid by check take up to four weeks to be processed and mailed by the Rice University accounting office. There is a $30 charge for any check returned for insufficient funds.
Student Performance Assessment Methods and Grading Procedures
Your grade in this class will be based upon your cumulative understanding of the course concepts.
- Final Exam: The final exam will be 50% of the course grade.
- Written Assignments: You will have two written assignments, which will each be worth 25% of your final grade. The assignments will be provided on the Study Support website.
In preparing assignments, all positions and conclusions must be substantiated and supported. Identify all key areas, fully address all questions and provide the basis for your conclusion. Please also cite sources to support your statements.
Your assignment grades will be based upon the above criteria. Please be comprehensive in drafting your responses and reach out to your Instructor if you require clarification or assistance.
In order to ensure that you understand the concepts covered in the exam and assignments, make sure to review the text materials, as well as the Chapter Quizzes, available on CareerStudyLabs.com.
Health Care Law, 1st Edition (Kazmier)
Formats and Prices (approximate):
Standard New: From $150
Standard Rental: $69
eTextbook (Recommended): $52