This family law course provides a concise introduction to key legal concepts and practical paralegal skills, along with excerpts from real-world cases, forms and checklists you can apply on the job, and tips and techniques for professional success. The course includes material on current trends and topics in family law, including legal ethics, technology, domestic violence, fertility and reproductive science, stem cell research, adoption, domestic partnerships, same-sex marriage, and changing definitions of family.
For an experienced paralegal, increasing your knowledge and skill set can lead to related growth and opportunities Paralegals must stay current on technologies, trends and evolving law to stay on top of a competitive market in such timely issues as e-discovery, corporate law, criminal law, immigration, real estate and family law. Rice University partners with the ICD, the curriculum developers of our renowned legal studies program to offer convenient on-demand courses to provide educational opportunities 24/7.
Graduates of the Rice Paralegal Certificate program are eligible for a discounted rate of $399 per course.
- Be able to identify a variety of family law areas of practice.
- Be familiar with and able to create contractual documents related to family law issues (based on forms).
- Identify traditional and alternative forms of marriage.
- Possess a firm understanding of the divorce process, including grounds and general procedures.
- Identify post-marital issues, including spousal and child support, property division, and custody issues.
- Possess a broad understanding illegitimacy, paternity, and adoption.
This course does not include traditional lectures. Instead, the student will utilize multiple study-support tools that act as a guide for the learning process. These tools may include:
- Chapter Overview and Introduction
- Lecture Notes
- Chapter Review and Review Answers
- Chapter Quiz (required to proceed)
In addition, students will have access to an instructor via email if any questions arise.
Estimated Course Hours (including study and online learning): 24 hours
- Introduction to Family Law and Practice
- Premarital Agreements and Cohabitation Agreements
- Traditional Marriage and Alternatives
- Annulment and Divorce Grounds and Procedure
- Spousal Support, Property Division, and the Separation Agreement
- Child Custody and Support
- Tax Consequences of Separation and Divorce
- The Legal Rights of Women
- Illegitimacy, Paternity, and the Legal Status of Children
- Paralegals seeking to further enhance their knowledge and skills
- Professionals preparing to become a paralegal in a law firm or government agency
- Professionals seeking deeper understanding of family law for use in support of family, friends or clients
Financial assistance information can be found on Rice Financial Aid's Visiting and Continuing Education Students page.
Due to the high demand for courses, registrations are considered final as of 10 working days before class starts. No refunds will be issued after these dates and credits will not be given for future classes. No refunds will be granted for participants who miss a portion of a program. Refund requests before the deadline are subject to a 10% processing fee and must be made in writing to email@example.com. If books have been issued, the cost of the books and any shipping fees will be deducted. Refunds for credit card payments will be processed as credits to the accounts from which they were paid and may not appear as a credit until the following statement. Refunds for enrollments paid by check take up to four weeks to be processed and mailed by the Rice University accounting office. There is a $30 charge for any check returned for insufficient funds.
Student Performance Assessment Methods and Grading Procedures
Your grade in this class will be based upon your cumulative understanding of the course concepts.
- Final Exam: The final exam will be 50% of the course grade.
- Written Assignments: You will have two written assignments, which will each be worth 25% of your final grade. The assignments will be provided on the Study Support website.
In preparing assignments, all positions and conclusions must be substantiated and supported. Identify all key areas, fully address all questions and provide the basis for your conclusion. Please also cite sources to support your statements.
Your assignment grades will be based upon the above criteria. Please be comprehensive in drafting your responses and reach out to your Instructor if you require clarification or assistance.
In order to ensure that you understand the concepts covered in the exam and assignments, make sure to review the text materials, as well as the Chapter Quizzes, available on CareerStudyLabs.com.
Family Law, The Essentials, 3rd Edition (Statsky)
Formats and Prices (approximate):
Standard New (Recommended): From $135
Standard Rental: $42