This Business Law course covers basic business organizations and corporate law. It is designed for paralegals and provides reference for the training and practicing professional in the realm of business organizations. There is a strong emphasis on the role of the paralegal in helping to create different business organizations along with a focus on building a strong foundation on theory, followed up with practical examples and applications.
For an experienced paralegal, increasing your knowledge and skillset can lead to related growth and opportunities Paralegals must stay current on technologies, trends and evolving law to stay on top of a competitive market in such timely issues as e-discovery, corporate law, criminal law, immigration, real estate and family law. Rice University partners with the ICD, the curriculum developers of our renowned legal studies program to offer convenient on-demand courses to provide educational opportunities 24/7.
Graduates of the Rice Paralegal Certificate program are eligible for a discounted rate of $399 per course.
- Learn complex substantive and procedural laws surrounding U.S. business entities today.
- Focus on corporations, sole proprietorships, partnerships, limited liability partnerships, and limited liability entities.
- Understand the law and theory behind the law while learning practical information students can take to the office.
- Gain knowledge of various financial structures, securities regulations, mergers, and bankruptcy.
- Become familiar with the current Uniform Acts and Model Business Corporation Act used by most state legislatures to create state-specific laws.
- Develop specific tools that will help in a job as a corporate paralegal, including sample incorporation paragraphs and practical advice.
- Introduction to Business Organizations
- Principals and Agents
- Sole Proprietorships
- Limited Partnerships
- Limited Liability Companies
- The Rise of the Corporation
- Creating a Corporation
- The Participants in the Corporation
- Financing the Corporation
- Corporate Liability
- Terminating Corporate Existence
- Paralegals seeking to further enhance their knowledge and skills
- Professionals preparing to become a paralegal in the business or corporate space
- Professionals seeking a legal understanding of business and corporate law
Financial assistance information can be found on Rice Financial Aid's Visiting and Continuing Education Students page.
Due to the high demand for courses, registrations are considered final as of 10 working days before class starts. No refunds will be issued after these dates and credits will not be given for future classes. No refunds will be granted for participants who miss a portion of a program. Refund requests before the deadline are subject to a 10% processing fee and must be made in writing to email@example.com. If books have been issued, the cost of the books and any shipping fees will be deducted. Refunds for credit card payments will be processed as credits to the accounts from which they were paid and may not appear as a credit until the following statement. Refunds for enrollments paid by check take up to four weeks to be processed and mailed by the Rice University accounting office. There is a $30 charge for any check returned for insufficient funds.
Student Performance Assessment Methods and Grading Procedures
Your grade in this class will be based upon your cumulative understanding of the course concepts.
- Final Exam: The final exam will be 50% of the course grade.
- Written Assignments: You will have two written assignments, which will each be worth 25% of your final grade. The assignments will be provided on the Study Support website.
In preparing assignments, all positions and conclusions must be substantiated and supported. Identify all key areas, fully address all questions and provide the basis for your conclusion. Please also cite sources to support your statements.
Your assignment grades will be based upon the above criteria. Please be comprehensive in drafting your responses and reach out to your Instructor if you require clarification or assistance.
In order to ensure that you understand the concepts covered in the exam and assignments, make sure to review the text materials, as well as the Chapter Quizzes, available on CareerStudyLabs.com.
The Law of Corporations and Other Business Organizations 6th Edition (Schneeman)
Formats and Prices (approximate):
Standard New: from $131
Standard Rental: $80
eTextbook (recommended) : $63