Practice how to influence and gain support from others beyond the responsibilities inherent to your job’s position or title. Be prepared to challenge your assumptions on what it really means to create positive change.
Through interactive activities utilizing Harvard Kennedy School’s Adaptive Leadership framework, engage in a “case-in-point” method of teaching which allows you to experience the concepts at work during the course.
- Understand that leadership is an activity, not a position
- Untangle power and authority from leadership
- Realize the critical need to quickly adapt to a rapidly changing world
- Discover a sense of your own capacities to impact change
- Learn new ways of thinking about leadership and reflect upon your own capacities to lead
- Apply class concepts to a personal leadership challenge
- Young professionals eager to add value to organizations and communities in which they live and work
- New managers wanting to build skills to lead their teams and influence their organizations
- Seasoned professionals grappling with change and recurring problems
- Anyone who is passionate about an issue or an organization and seeks to create positive change
- Anyone intent on developing their leadership skills, no matter where they are in their careers
Due to the high demand for courses, registrations are considered final as of 10 working days before class starts. No refunds will be issued after these dates and credits will not be given for future classes. No refunds will be granted for participants who miss a portion of a program. Refund requests before the deadline are subject to a 10% processing fee and must be made in writing to firstname.lastname@example.org. If books have been issued, the cost of the books and any shipping fees will be deducted. Refunds for credit card payments will be processed as credits to the accounts from which they were paid and may not appear as a credit until the following statement. Refunds for enrollments paid by check take up to four weeks to be processed and mailed by the Rice University accounting office. There is a $30 charge for any check returned for insufficient funds.
Students who successfully complete The Art and Practice of Influencing Without Authority along with Leading Self: Your DiSC Leadership Style and Leading Teams: High Performing Teams will be awarded a Certificate in Leading Self, Teams, and Systems from the Glasscock School of Continuing Studies. Learn more about the Certificate in Leading, Self, Teams and Systems and sign up for an upcoming information session.