Over the past ten years, the coaching profession has grown rapidly in the corporate world as well as in higher education, non-profits and a variety of other sectors. The Doerr Institute for New Leaders (DINL), in partnership with the Glasscock School of Continuing Studies, is offering a rigorous and International Coach Federation (ICF) accredited program that allows participants to develop and expand their coaching skills.
The CoachRICE training program uses a variety of teaching methodologies to deliver a practical skill set while maintaining a level of theoretical curriculum consistent with Rice University standards. Participants will develop their personal leadership skills as well as the ability to support leadership development in others. Through concentrated learning modules, participants will explore processes that combine collaboration, creativity and compassion to become a co-active agent of change for clients and organizations.
Participants who successfully complete the course will receive a Rice Certificate of Achievement and earn the 60 hours of coach-specific training required for ICF’s Associate Certified Coach (ACC) application.APPLY
Through ICF, there are three application paths to choose from for the Associate Certified Coach. CoachRICE prepares students for the ACSTH path of certification. Please read more about this path here.
This program is divided into four modules. Each module is comprised of 12 classroom hours and three hours of pre-class assignments. Modules are delivered through a combination of face-to-face instruction, presentations, discussions, dyadic exercises, fishbowls and other interactive methods and independent studies. All modules are required for completion, including all pre-class hours. The program is scheduled over a period of four months. Classes take place on the Rice University campus.
- An emotional intelligence assessment (EQ-I 2.0) and one-on-one coaching session
- ICF Certified instructors who are experts in distinct areas of leadership and coaching session
- Rigorous and experiential curriculum
- Five individual observation reports on coaching progress
Total Hours: 48 classroom instruction + 12 asynchronous (self-study) = 60 coach-specific training
Fall 2019 Schedule
Introduction to Coaching | Thursday, Aug. 22, 2019, 1-5 p.m. and Friday, Aug 23, 2019, 8:30 a.m.-5 p.m.
Goal Focused Coaching | Thursday, Sept. 26, 2019 from 1-5 p.m. and Friday, Sept. 27, 2019 from 8:30 a.m.-5 p.m.
Leadership Coaching | Thursday, Oct. 31, 2019 from 1-5 p.m. and Friday, Nov. 1, 2019 from 8:30 a.m.-5 p.m.
Inclusion Practices in Coaching | Thursday, Nov. 21, 2019 from 1-5 p.m. and Friday, Nov. 22, 2019 from 8:30 a.m.-5 p.m.
CoachRICE: A Leadership Coaching Program includes 60 hours required for the ACC level of ICF certification. This does not include the additional 10 hours of required mentor coaching.
Participants seeking to complete the minimum 10 hours of mentor coaching required to earn the ICF certification may enroll in CoachRice: A Mentor Coaching Program. The mentor coaching program is open to individuals who have completed 60 coach-specific training hours.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
- Professional coaches interested in continuing to develop and enhance their established skillset
- Internal organization coaches
- Managers and leaders who wish to add coaching to their portfolio
- Professionals in allied fields who want to add coaching skills to their resume
- University professors who are interested in creating courses on leadership
- Human resource (HR) and organizational development professionals (OD&T) who want advance their career
Prerequisites for CoachRice
- Bachelor's Degree
- Minimum five years of experience with preference given to those who have worked in human resources, organizational behavior, organizational development, or a related field
- Leadership experience -- It is not a requirement that the applicant be in an official supervisory position. Rather, we recognize that participants will benefit from being able to reflect on past leadership experiences in a variety of professional or community-based situations (e.g. team leader for a project, role in a civic organization, opportunity for influence in a sports or religious organization, etc.)
Fall 2019 Application Deadlines and Notification Dates
Early Decision Application Deadline: May 20, 2019
Early Decision Notification: May 28, 2019
General Application Deadline: June 10, 2019
General Application Notification: June 17, 2019
The fee does not include the cost of textbooks (estimate of $200). A reading syllabus will be provided to accepted applicants of the program.
For early decision acceptance for the fall 2019 cohort, 50 percent payment is due on June 3 and full payment must be received on June 28, 2019.
For general admittance for the fall 2019 cohort, 50 percent payment is due on June 24 and full payment must be received by July 1, 2019
Rice staff/faculty/alumni are eligible for a 10 percent discount.
Financial assistance information can be found on Rice Financial Aid's Visiting and Continuing Education Students page.
Join us at an upcoming information session.SECURE YOUR SPOT
Applies Towards the Following Certificates
- CoachRICE: A Leadership Coaching Program Certificate : CoachRICE: A Leadership Coaching Program Certificate