Earning the SHRM-CP® or SHRM-SCP® designation makes you a global leader in the HR field and a valuable asset to your organization. This professional distinction sets you apart from your colleagues, providing the expertise and credentials you need to succeed in this demanding and ever-evolving profession.
Increase your chances of passing the exam by attending one of our upcoming certification prep courses. An expert, SHRM-certified instructor will be on hand to answer your questions, guide you through interactive discussions, review sample test questions and provide exclusive test-taking tips to learn faster, retain more knowledge and stay on track for your exam date.
For over two decades, Rice University has held the distinction of being the largest producer of certified HR professionals in Texas helping students prepare for certification exams with pass rates that consistently exceed the national average. Offered in partnership with the Society for Human Resource Management, Rice is proud to be recognized among the top 5 educational institution partners of approved college, university, and training organizations worldwide.
Tuition includes the 2022 SHRM Learning System that delivers the most comprehensive and effective exam preparation tools to build confidence and pass the SHRM-CP/SHRM-SCP exam.
Participants who earn 80 percent or higher on the online modules and post test will receive a Rice Certificate of Achievement.
We invite you to browse the course section tabs below to learn more about class schedules, school policies and the deadline to register for the certification exam. Join Rice University’s Institute for Human Resource Education on your path to success.
The SHRM® Learning System for SHRM-CP® / SHRM-SCP® includes four modules covering the comprehensive SHRM BASK (Body of Applied Skills and Knowledge) so you'll learn everything you need for the SHRM-CP® or SHRM-SCP®exam.
Leadership & Navigation
Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
Employee Engagement & Retention
Learning & Development
Structure of the HR Function
Organizational Effectiveness & Development
Employee and Labor Relations
Managing a Global Workforce
Corporate Social Responsibility
U.S Employment Law & Regulations
Test Windows and Registration Dates
Spring Window: May 1-July 15, 2022
Applications accepted starting: January 3, 2022
Early Application Deadline: March 18, 2022
Late Application Deadline: April 8, 2022
Winter Window: Dec. 1, 2022-Feb. 15, 2023
Applications accepted starting: June 1, 2022
Early Application Deadline: Oct. 14, 2022
Late Application Deadline: November 9, 2022
- Computer-based experience
- 3 hours and 45 minutes to complete
- SHRM-CP® Exam: 134 questions (80 stand-alone knowledge/54 situational judgment)*
- SHRM-SCP® Exam: 134 questions (80 stand-alone knowledge/54 situational judgment)*
*Exam fee is not included in fee. It is a separate registration for the exam through SHRM. Exam applications will be accepted starting on January 3, 2022.
SHRM Certified Professional (SHRM-CP)
- The SHRM-CP certification is for individuals that perform general HR/HR-related duties; or for those pursuing a career in Human Resource Management (0-2 years experience) including students in their final year of study.
- Candidates for the SHRM-CP certification are not required to hold an HR title and do not need a degree or previous HR experience to apply; however, a basic working knowledge of HR practices and principles is recommended.
- The SHRM-CP exam is designed to assess the competency level of those who engage in HR work at the operational level. Work at this level includes duties such as implementing HR policies, supporting day-to-day HR functions, or serving as an HR point of contact for staff and stakeholders.
SHRM Senior Certified Professional (SHRM-SCP)
- The SHRM-SCP certification is for individuals that have a work history of at least 3 years performing strategic level HR/HR-related duties; or for SHRM-CP credential holders who have held the credential for at least 3 years and are working in, or are in the process of transitioning to, a strategic level role.
- Candidates for the SHRM-SCP certification are not required to hold an HR title and do not need a degree to apply.
- The SHRM-SCP exam is designed to assess the competency level of those who engage in HR work at the strategic level. Work at this level includes duties such as developing HR policies and/or procedures, overseeing the execution of integrated HR operations, directing an entire HR enterprise, or leading the alignment of HR strategies to organizational goals.
Applicants must be able to demonstrate that they devoted at least 1,000 hours per calendar year (Jan. – Dec.) to strategic level HR/HR-related work.
- More than 1,000 hours in a calendar year does not equate to more than 1 year of experience.
- Part-time work qualifies as long as the 1,000-hour per calendar year standard is met.
- Experience may be either salaried or hourly.
Individuals who are HR consultants may demonstrate qualifying experience through the HR/HR-related duties they perform for their clients. Contracted hours must meet the 1,000-hour standard.
A SHRM-CP credential holder is eligible to sit for the SHRM-SCP exam after successful completion of one three-year SHRM-CP recertification cycle.
All credentials are valid for three years. Recertification is required every three years through demonstrated professional development (preferred method) or retaking the exam.
- HR and benefit professionals currently practicing in the field
- Recruiting and training professionals
- Employees with management responsibilities
- Individuals seeking a career in human resources
- HR professionals planning to take the prestigious SHRM-CP® or SHRM-SCP® exam
SHRM Certification is a great choice for HR professionals who want to:
- Increase their knowledge
- Advance their skills
- Earn recognition from the global community
Why choose an online course?
- Offered entirely online
- Live instruction
- Class recordings are made available in video (MP4) format
The estimated Cost of Attendance (COA) for the Human Resource Certificate Program is up to $1,407.
Financial assistance information can be found on Rice Financial Aid's Visiting and Continuing Education Students page.
Rice University’s Susanne M. Glasscock School of Continuing Studies is proud to partner with Schlumberger to provide 15 scholarships for spouses of active duty military/veterans in the school’s Human Resource Management Certificate program. For more information visit here.
Registrations are considered final as of 10 working days before class starts. No refunds will be issued after these dates and credits will not be given for future classes. No refunds will be granted for participants who miss a portion of a program. Refund requests before the deadline are subject to a 10% processing fee and must be made in writing to firstname.lastname@example.org. If books have been issued, the cost of the books and any shipping fees will be deducted. Refunds for credit card payments will be processed as credits to the accounts from which they were paid and may not appear as a credit until the following statement. Refunds for enrollments paid by check take up to four weeks to be processed and mailed by the Rice University accounting office. There is a $30 charge for any check returned for insufficient funds.
An individual may be able to claim a tax deduction or a tax credit for the cost of attending this continuing education program. However, we do not issue 1098-Ts. Non-academic credit programs such as continuing education courses do not require a 1098-T per IRS guidelines. Please keep a copy of your receipt and consult with your tax advisor about whether your payment meets the regulations that apply to tax deductions and tax credits. The University’s Federal Tax ID Number is 74-1109620.
Online Course Requirements
Students in most professional development programs must have access to a computer and the Internet to complete the coursework required to earn the Certificate of Achievement.
Virtual Classroom Requirements
Students in online format courses must have the following:
- Headset or earbuds with a microphone attached to your computer
- High-speed Internet connection
- Google Chrome or Firefox browsers
Accessing “Virtual Classroom” With a Phone or Tablet
- iPhone or iPad – Must use Safari browser.
- Android phone or tablets – Must use Chrome browser.
Applies Towards the Following Certificates
- Human Resource Management Certificate Program : Human Resource Management Certificate Program