Recommended for those new to human resources, small business owners and entrepreneurs, equip yourself with critical knowledge to improve your ability to handle challenging human resources issues. Due to the high demand for this course, multiple sections are offered.
The newly updated, SHRM Essentials of Human Resources provides foundational HR Knowledge and incorporates components of the SHRM BoCK. It provides insights into the standards for knowledge, strategies and competencies required of effective HR professionals around the world.
Managing any organization requires knowledge of the rules and regulations of human resource management. In this course, gain a broad overview of human resources; learn the foundational knowledge about recruiting, hiring, performance management, compensation and legal impact; understand the behavioral competencies that improve judgment and decision making; and learn practical experience through tools and resources to improve your job performance; and learn the tools to help reduce potential costly lawsuits. Once you successfully complete the course, earn a Rice Certificate of Achievement. No prior HR experience required.
SHRM Essentials of Human Resources provides foundational HR Knowledge and incorporates components of the SHRM BoCK. It provides insights into the standards for knowledge, strategies and competencies required of elective HR professionals around the world.
The program covers six key HR topics and provides tools you can immediately put to use in your organization:
- Human Resources. Gain a clear understanding of the HR function.
- Talent Acquisition. Develop important skills for attracting and selecting employees.
- Total Rewards. Learn the key elements of a total compensation system.
- Learning and Development. Obtain an understanding of orientation, development, and training.
- Performance Management. Discover the purpose and process for performance evaluation.
- Employment Law. Enhance your ability to apply key HR legislation.
Continuing Education Hours Include
- Approved by HR Certification Institute for 12.25 hours of HR (General) recertification credit towards PHR and SPHR recertification requirements
- Approved by SHRM for 14.75 Professional Development Credits (PDCs) towards SHRM-CP and SHRM-SCP recertification requirements
- Anyone new to HR
- Employees who have HR responsibilities as part of their job description
- Individuals who want to expand their HR knowledge
- HR professionals who need recertification credits
- Those seeking a stepping stone before earning the SHRM-CP or SHRM-SCP designation
Note: For on-site training inquiries, please contact email@example.com.
The cost of attendance (COA) is $649.
Financial assistance information can be found on Rice Financial Aid's Visiting and Continuing Education Students page.
Due to the high demand for courses, registrations are considered final as of 10 working days before class starts. No refunds will be issued after these dates and credits will not be given for future classes. No refunds will be granted for participants who miss a portion of a program. Refund requests before the deadline are subject to a 10% processing fee and must be made in writing to firstname.lastname@example.org. If books have been issued, the cost of the books and any shipping fees will be deducted. Refunds for credit card payments will be processed as credits to the accounts from which they were paid and may not appear as a credit until the following statement. Refunds for enrollments paid by check take up to four weeks to be processed and mailed by the Rice University accounting office. There is a $30 charge for any check returned for insufficient funds.
Join us at an upcoming information session.
Online Course Requirements
Students in most professional development programs must have access to a computer and the Internet to complete the coursework required to earn the Certificate of Achievement.
“Virtual Classroom” – Blackboard Collaborate Requirements
Students in online format courses must have the following:
- Headset or earbuds with a microphone attached to your computer
High-speed Internet connection
Google Chrome or Firefox browsers
Accessing “Virtual Classroom” With a Phone or Tablet
- iPhone or iPad – Must use Safari browser.
Android phone or tablets – Must use Chrome browser.
Applies Towards the Following Certificates
- Essentials of Human Resources Certificate : Essentials of Human Resources Management