This class will teach you how to solve complex problems using Excel-based discrete optimization tools. Offered in collaboration with Rice’s George R. Brown School of Engineering, this two-day course, which offers participants the opportunity to attend in person or online, is applicable to the Certificate of Completion in Supply Chain Analytics or the Certificate of Completion in Advanced Data Analytics.
Optimization technology is omnipresent in our society. Applications are diverse from scheduling traffic lights to checkout lanes in grocery stores, from transportation of goods globally to organizing your personal time to meet deadlines. Optimization is needed everywhere for success.
This class is an introduction to discrete optimization and will expose participants to some of the most fundamental concepts in the field. It will cover modeling and optimization with linear and integer programming, teach scenario planning using what-if analysis, and discuss practical case studies and examples from project management, decision analysis, scheduling, allocation of resources, and supply-chain optimization.
- Professionals or managers in manufacturing or operations based businesses
- Professionals or managers in high volume healthcare systems
- Professionals or managers in refineries and chemical processing plants
- Professionals or managers in oilfield services
- Professionals or managers in logistics, supply chain or scheduling
Basic Microsoft Excel capabilities are required for this offering.
In-Person or Online
This course is offered through the Glasscock School’s Zoom-powered classroom, which gives students the opportunity to attend in person at the Rice campus or to attend and participate online. From class to class, students can choose how they wish to participate.
Join us at an upcoming information session.
- Monday, Oct. 7, 2019 at noon Central time, in-person and remote options