The AP Preparedness Summer Workshops are designed to help teachers increase the rigor of content so students develop the strong foundation necessary for success in secondary advanced academics and post-secondary courses.
Participants will examine the updates to both AP English Language and Composition and AP English Literature and Composition with the goal of honing current curriculum and instructional practices. Participants will leave with practical methods and strategies to prepare students for high school English and AP.
Topics will include the following:
- Close reading and annotation of both fiction and nonfiction
- Specific strategies in literary analysis of fiction, poetry, and drama
- Incorporating a variety of discussion strategies to improve critical thinking and writing
- Grammar, style and rhetorical analysis
- The role of the new AP rubrics in middle school writing
What participants should bring (e.g., laptop or other electronic device, supplies, books with ISBN number):
- Sticky notes
- Pen and paper for note-taking
- Copies of (or access to) current curriculum
- Computers or tablets are optional
Ann Jackson teaches high school and middle school English at Home Run Ministries in Kingwood, Texas. She taught all levels of English for 33 years in Texas and Louisiana public schools; she also served as department chair and vertical team leader in Crosby, Texas. An endorsed College Board consultant for over 20 years in one- and two-day workshops and summer institutes, Ms. Jackson has also written workshop material for the College Board and serves as a mentor to new consultants. She was twice recognized as Crosby High School’s Teacher of the Year and is a recipient of the Goldin Foundation Excellence in Education Award. Ms. Jackson received both her BA in English education and MA in supervision and administration from Louisiana State University in Baton Rouge.
Thank you for your interest in this program. Unfortunately, this program is either full or no longer accepting registrations.
Sign up to stay in the know and learn more about this offering and other education programs.