Nonprofit organizations are often asked to do more with less. Increasingly, economic forces and competition for shrinking sources of funds require organizations to adopt professional fundraising practices. The Fund Development Certificate helps you develop a well-rounded understanding of the profession and learn the fundamentals for successful fundraising. The certificate consists of four elective fundraising courses and one required development plan course. Participants completing all five courses within five years have earned the Fund Development Certificate.
- Have ideally already started their development careers
- Have a minimum of 2 years of work experience
- Want to learn more breadth of the development function
- Are preparing for the CFRE examination or re-certification
- Would like to position themselves for a career in advancement
The certificate program requires the completion of four fundraising elective courses and one required fund development plan course. These courses provide you with a broad understanding of the fundraising role as well as the implementation of best practices within your organization. The five courses must be completed within a five year period.
Course completion is required to earn the Fund Development Certificate.
- Creating a Fund Development Plan - (online)
You must complete four of the classes listed below. Elective classes available online and in-person.
- The Art of Fundraising: The Fundamentals
- The Art of Fundraising: Advanced Principles and Practices
- Board Fundraising
- Campaign Planning and Management
- Comprehensive Annual Giving
- Donor Relations: Maintaining Strong Relationships with Your Donors (online)
- Essentials of Gift Administration
- Fundamentals of Constituent Relationship Management (online, on-demand)
- Fundraising Analytics: Leveraging the Power of Data (online)
- Major Gifts
- Managing a Development Team
- Planned Giving: The Essentials
- Proposal Writing
CEUs and CFRE points vary depending on which four elective and one required courses are taken.
- Individual elective course pricing: $245 - $400 (discounts available for AFP members)
- Required course (Creating a Fund Development Plan) pricing: $1000 (discount available for AFP members)