Before starting an application, applicants must contact the Education Office (firstname.lastname@example.org) for a preliminary review of transcripts to verify credit hours in the content area and GPA.
- Optional: Satisfactory results on preliminary criminal background check. A school may deny placement of a participant with a criminal background. Candidates may go through a preliminary criminal background process before admission and may petition the Texas Education Agency (TEA) for reconsideration if the results are unsatisfactory. For more information go to https://tea.texas.gov/Texas_Educators/Investigations/Preliminary_Criminal_History_Evaluation-FAQs/
- The application processing fee is $85. This fee is non-refundable.
- This form and all transcripts and papers pertaining to this application should be sent directly to: Rice University, Education Department MS-146, P.O. Box 1892, Houston, TX 77251-1892 or to email@example.com.
- Official transcripts of all post-secondary course work must be included with the application. Official transcripts must be sent directly to the Education Office by the institution(s) attended. Official electronic transcripts are accepted and must be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org. Transcripts uploaded or sent by the applicant are considered unofficial. (Transcripts from a country other than the U.S. must go through a course-by-course evaluation by a recognized evaluation service provider.)
- Applicants must hold a bachelor’s degree from a university that is accredited by an agency recognized by the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board (THECB).
- Minimum 2.75 or higher overall GPA and grades of B- or better in all content area courses are required.
- Twenty-four credit hours in the content area or minimum 12 credit hours, 15 for the math and science areas.
- Three letters of recommendation. Recommendations must be requested from three persons, professors in the applicant's major field or work supervisors only, who know the personal and scholastic qualities of the applicant. (Letters from friends/family are unacceptable.) Inform the persons writing letters that they will receive an e-mail with instructions on how to submit the recommendation.
- Applicants whose native language is not English must take the TOEFL test and should score at least 90 on the iBT TOEFL with at least the minimum following scores: Speaking-24, Listening-22, Reading-22, Writing-21. The TOEFL may be waived for an international student who has received a degree from a university in which English is the official language of communication.
- Admission interview with the Education Admissions Committee will be scheduled after all the documents have been received and reviewed.
Rice University is committed to equal opportunity in education and employment. It is the policy of Rice University to attract qualified individuals of diverse backgrounds to its faculty, staff, and student body. Rice University does not discriminate against any individual on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, ancestry, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status in its admissions, educational programs, or employment. In employment, the university seeks to recruit, hire, and advance qualified candidates, including women, members of underrepresented minority groups, individuals with disabilities, and protected classes of military veterans specified by law.