- Satisfactory results on background and fingerprint checks. A school may deny placement of a participant with a criminal background. Candidates may go through fingerprinting process before admission and may petition the Texas Education Agency (TEA) for reconsideration if the results are unsatisfactory. For more information go to https://tea.texas.gov/Texas_Educators/Certification/Fingerprinting/
- The application processing fee is $85. This fee is non-refundable.
- This form and all transcripts and papers pertaining to this application should be sent directly to: Rice University, Education Department MS-146, P.O. Box 1892, Houston, TX 77251-1892.
- Official transcripts of all post-secondary course work must be included with the application. Official records must be sent directly to the Education office by the institution(s) attended. Official electronic transcripts are accepted and must be sent to email@example.com.
- Minimum 2.75 or higher overall GPA and grades of B- or better in all content area courses are required.
- Twenty-four credit hours in the content area or minimum 12 credit hours, 15 for the math and science areas, and passing scores on the Pre-Admission Content Test (PACT).
- Three letters of recommendation. Recommendations should be requested from three persons (preferably professors in the applicant's major field) who know the personal and scholastic qualities of the applicant. Inform the persons writing letters that they will receive an e-mail with instructions on how to submit the recommendation. No action on an application will be taken until all recommendations are received.
- Applicants whose native language is not English must take the TOEFL test and should score at least 90 on the iBT TOEFL with at least a 26 in the speaking section. The TOEFL may be waived for an international student who has received a degree from a university in which English is the official language of communication.
- Admission interview with the Education Admissions Committee will be scheduled when all the application documents have been received and reviewed.
If applicable, complete application with Breakthrough Houston:
To complete the application, be prepared with the following: personal and contact information, a resume, contact information for a recommender, an unofficial transcript, three short-answer questions, locations and teaching preferences. If you are a selected applicant, the preparation of a 5-minute lesson is required.
Rice University is committed to equal opportunity in education and employment. It is the policy of Rice University to attract qualified individuals of diverse backgrounds to its faculty, staff, and student body. Rice University does not discriminate against any individual on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, ancestry, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status in its admissions, educational programs, or employment. In employment, the university seeks to recruit, hire, and advance qualified candidates, including women, members of underrepresented minority groups, individuals with disabilities, and protected classes of military veterans specified by law.